Thursday, January 22, 2009

ITCHIES!!!


Okay fellow lockers, tell me what's up with all these itchies and flaking. How long does this last? I am welcoming all suggestions on how to combat this temporary problem. Do I do as they say when I was in the army and suck it up and drive on? Is an ACV rinse a good idea at this point? I have a spray bottle with some rosemary and peppermint eo that I have spritz my hair with a couple of times. I don't want to spritz with this too often for fear of causing any type of buildup or slippage. I spritz with plain ole water everyday which my hair seems to love. But I had been doing that for a long time before sisterlocks so I knew my hair would love it. What else can I do? Help pleez!!!

On a more positive note, I have completed my first month...yay!!! I am officially in my 2nd month of sisterlockdom (is that a word? lol) I saw my consultant about a week and a half ago for my follow up visit with her. She had to redo some in the front because some of the parts were not straight and some in the back because they had unraveled. She was very excited when she saw my hair saying that is had shrank and hardly had any slipping. I guess she was surprised because of the length that I'd started out with. I contribute it to the fact that I was natural for 6 years before I started this journey. Aside from the itchies, this has been a beautiful journey.


Washing seems to be going very well. Of course I braid and band because I don't want to take any chances and mess up what is progressing so well. I don't have any of the sisterlocks starter shampoo but my consultant did provide me with a very good clarifying shampoo that gets my hair sqeauky clean without drying it out too much. It's Fantasia IC 100% Tea Shampoo:



I've also noticed that they are starting to expand a bit which I'm very pleased with. So my hair feels a little more bulky. I'm curious to see where I am in another 5 months at my 6 month anniversary. With my texture I'm not sure I'll see much of a difference, I think its going to take awhile to see any real changes. But what do I know we'll just have to see.

17 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes....that itchy scalp. I think many of us suffer from this in the beginning. Not sure why it happens, but my itchy scalp was helped by using Kera Care Dry and Itchy Scalp Moisturizing Shampoo. It is very concentrated, so I diluted it before using. It stopped the itching after just one use, and it smells great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pure vitamin E oil worked for me, I would pour about a dime size in my palm rub my hands together making sure the oil was on my fingetips and just massage it on my scalp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have SLs since I started with micro braids, but I experienced the itchies pretty badly as well. I infused ACV with plantain, nettle, and hibiscus (all herbs that are great for the scalp) and apply it via a fingertip spray bottle. I massage it in and then go about my washing routine. I also make sure that I oil my scalp after washing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using a Diluted ACV rinse after shampoo-ing helps a lot. Or put a little ACV into a spray bottle along with a drop or 2 each of tea tree eo, and peppermint eo. Use this on scalp and locs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, I beg your pardon! Make sure you top it with water B4 you spritz your locs.. I forgot to add that in the above post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been strongly advised to stay away from the ACV rinse until my hair locs..by three different consultants. They say it makes the hair a little too soft thus the slippage and longer time to loc. Which is really too bad, since I love how baby soft my hair feels after the rinse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have any advice for you regarding the itchies since that hasn't been an issue for me during my journey. I did though want to send some love to you. Your new SL's are beautiful. Enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for coming in and offering your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

    @Lalaboobaby - Thanks for the compliment. The journey has been a beautiful one so far.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you have a lot of good advice here. Thanks for posting this--it is something that happens to a lot of lockers.

    Tag! You are it! See my blog to check out the rules!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I itch about 1 week after retightening, have one good long scratch and I'm over it. But I did discover that products can make you itch! I tend to itch when I use even the smallest amount of Infusium without first putting some oil on my scalp.

    You, however, should not have this problem (as you should not be using any product(?))

    Also, I'm not too sure that you should be using any "moisturizing shampoos" at this point on your newbie sisterlocks.

    My two cents worth ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Docs Locs

    Nope, no products for me. I just spritz with plain ole water everyday and that's it. I'm thankful for all the suggestions I've received but hadn't planned on using the moisturizing shampoo one anytime soon. My consultant made sure to tell me a couple of times no moisturizing shampoo. I've only been using the one she provided which is working very well. Thanks for looking out though :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This shampoo is great with cleansing your scalp/hair BUT, please note that it contains a 'softener' that will loosen up your locks the more you use it in your baby stage. If you don't believe me, then you'll see it months from now and I would hate for this to happen to you. This happened to me and my consultant had to go back and tighten the shaft of every lock. It's recommended that it's better to use this shampoo once your locks have matured. I'm only sharing this with you based on my experience and knowledge gathered from other lockers who experienced the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been 1 month locdown and you need your sl shampoo A.S.A.P. and your sl starter kit given to you upon completion of installation. I would call the sl office if you dont get what's due to you before 2 months is here. Clarifying shampoos is not recommended for baby locs. It's strips the natural oils. For the itchy apply a dap of sea breeze on the scalp.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Sereni,
    I tried this homemade Apple Cider Vinegar and Peppermint oil rinse for my dry and itchy scalp issues and it worked wonders. Just add 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar and 1 teaspoon of Peppermint oil to 1 quart of water and rinse your locks with this after washing. Then rinse out with water after. If you try this, let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just read the comments and saw where you have been advised to stay away from the rinse. My apologies! Let us know what you end up doing though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do not recall ever having an itchy scalp, but then looking back, while waiting for my starter kit(which I finally just got 7 months later) I found a lovely natural rosemary hair tonic at a store called aroma borealis. Made with distilled water I am sure you can probably find a recipe for that on line too. I spritz it in-between washes.

    ReplyDelete